Dad reveals horrific details of baby’s reported fentanyl OD at SF park

A 10-month-old baby suffered an accidental fentanyl overdose Tuesday at a Marina district playground, the boy’s father told The Chronicle in an interview, a medical emergency that required paramedics to administer overdose-reversing medication Narcan.

The boy’s father, Ivan Matkovic, who lives with his wife, twin sons and dogs in the neighborhood, described the incident Wednesday and also shared a hospital report with The Chronicle that listed a fentanyl overdose as the diagnosis. The Chronicle was not able to independently verify the authenticity of the hospital report, which it agreed not to publish in full to protect the family’s privacy.

City officials said they could not independently confirm all the reported details of the incident, which is still under investigation.

The after-visit summary from Sutter Health’s CPMC hospital states the diagnosis as “accidental fentanyl overdose, initial encounter” followed by “respiratory arrest.” The document states the hospital completed a urine fentanyl screening among other lab tests.

The record, printed at 10:56 p.m. on Nov. 29, states that the baby was observed for “more than 6 hours since Narcan was given and is breathing well. The fentanyl should be out of his system. He is safe to go home.” The record had “Epic” printed in the corner with the same logo as the records company used by the hospital system.